May 04, 2006

Some things better left unsaid

2006-05-02 | Congressman Dennis J. Kucinich (D-OH), Ranking Member of the House Government Reform Subcommittee on National Security, Emerging Threats and International Relations, will use a Subcommittee hearing on Tuesday to question the United States Ambassador to the United Nations, John Bolton, about US troops already operating in Iran. The hearing is set for Tuesday, May 2nd, in 2154 Rayburn House Office Building.

Recently, Seymour Hersh reported in The New Yorker magazine that US troops are already operating in Iran. Air Force Col. Sam Gardiner (Ret.) has made similar statements on CNN.

Kucinich will use Tuesday's hearing, officially about the United Nation's Oil-for-Food program, to question Ambassador Bolton about the presence of US troops in Iran, the ramifications in the region and the effects on diplomatic negotiations.


Ambassador Bolton response excerpt:


KUCINICH: Have you ever heard of that report?

BOLTON: I'd never heard of the report, I never read the article, nor do I intend to.

KUCINICH: Do you have any interest as to whether or not -- as the U.S. Ambassador, you don’t have any interest as to whether or not U.S. Marines are actually operating in Iran right now?

BOLTON: I said I had not heard of the report and I didn't intend to read the article in "The New Yorker."

KUCINICH: If I gave you this article right now, walked it over, would you look at it?

BOLTON: I don't think so, honestly, Congressman, because I don't have time to read much fiction.

KUCINICH: We know that U.S. Troops are in Iran. How does this affect U.N. Negotiations?

BOLTON: Congressman, you know more than I do, that's all I can say.


Damn, that's classic.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home