August 30, 2004

Flea Market, Southern Maryland Style

I thought I knew to expect when a friend invited me to a flea market. I’ve been to a few in Minnesota, Arizona and Montana. I guess all the flea market rules change once you get to southern Maryland.

First off, Southern Maryland is Rural. By rural, I mean cows, goats, Amish and tobacco fields, rural. The flea market had your usual stuff, antiques galore, cheap knives, and produce. That’s where flea market sanity ended.

Here’s a list of the more interesting things I chose not to buy:

Two pickups – one welded on top of the other, worlds largest popcorn machine – 2.5’ diameter, a two headed rubber ducky, vast array of blow-up dolls – including many animals, stick on beards and other various facial hair, a computer monitor that had a “does not work” sign on it, a deed to an Arizona gold mine – seller vouched for its authenticity, an ass – no not that kind – a donkey you sicko, a stop sign, and who could forget the factory seconds sunglasses table. Every single pair I tried on was blurry. Who the hell would actually wear these things? Bound to go cross-eyed in a few minutes.

Now, don’t get me wrong, I had fun. I even bought an SUV full of stuff and will probably go back next month for another load.

Here’s a list of the things I couldn’t live without:

Amish refurbished cedar-lined trunk, a Chinese desk lamp, beef bones – for Brutus of course, a few swords, a replica blunderbuss, a cat, a pound of beef jerky, some hot wheels cars, a slinky toy, a few USA t-shirts, a new boonie hat, a hand held rechargeable 1 million candlepower spotlight, a hammer, and a set of multi-color sharpie pens.
What a fun day.

3 Comments:

Blogger Worldgineer said...

I love the list of things you bought. I can only imagine the room you're going to decorate with swords, a blunderbuss, and a chinese desk lamp. How much did you pay for the cat?

2:13 PM, August 30, 2004  
Blogger dag said...

Cat was FREE!! Deals don't get any better!

The blunderbuss and the swords are going to hang in the armory/den. I have absolutely no idea where the Chinese lamp is going. I admit it was an impluse buy with no thought on where I was going to put it.

5:34 PM, August 30, 2004  
Blogger Worldgineer said...

Those can work out though. A friend gave my wife a strange small end table on wheels with drawers and fold-down wings. We had no idea what to do with it until we realized it fit perfectly between the couch and the wall in our TV room. Roll it in front of the couch, pull up the wings, and it turns from end table to TV tray along with drawers for remotes and coasters.

6:04 PM, August 30, 2004  

Post a Comment

<< Home